Wednesday 1 September 2010

Day 7 - East End & Evensong at St. Paul's Cathedral


Brick Lane
So here we have a picture of Brick Lane, the setting for one of the books I had to read for class. It was one of the stops on our tour of the East End. We also got to visit Whitechapel market for a few short minutes. The tour was interesting, but I have to admit that I wasn't really into it. I'm much more partial to the stereotypical tourist destinations.

And speaking of which, this evening we got to see evensong performed at St. Paul's Cathedral. First of all, the building is gigantic. It has this huge dome and then "smaller" sections on all sides.
From the front

from the back








 




And the inside was gorgeous. It was really just so magnificent. You aren't allowed to take pictures inside, but I found some on Google so I'll put those up. I actually got to sit in the wooden benches (I don't know their real name) as the service was performed. The whole experience was amazing, there were so many intricate details that I just didn't know where to look first.
The Benches I was talking about
Inside St. Paul's 
KQ said that we have a tour of the cathedral scheduled. We are going to walk up to the top of the dome. That's gonna be a lot of stairs, but totally worth it.
We had some extra time before evensong so a group of us went across the Millennium Bridge to check out the Globe Theatre's museum, but it cost money so we decided against it. However, I did find some really cool steps right in front that lead into the Thames. And finally.......
LONDON FOOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment